My Voki


Get a Voki now!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Mother's Heartache


There's nothing worse than having a sick child, or children. It seems like someone is always sick in my house. My son, Sean, has suffered from asthma, croup, sore throats, ear infections and sleep apnea. My daughter, Grace, has now joined him in the chronic ear infection club. Ugh! As if that wasn't enough, one of my cats, Billy, is also chronically ill. It never ends! I think if my husband hears me use that line one more time he's going to scream. Honestly, I'm so tired of doctor visits, waiting rooms, expensive prescriptions and relapses. I want to sleep through the night again! Oh, the exhaustion!
This week has been quite eventful, Sean had his tonsils and adenoids removed, Grace has been sick all week with other ailments, and the cat had to have urine taken from him, it wasn't a pleasant experience for anyone involved. All I could do all week was hold my breath, and look away, I don't do well with blood and other bodily fluids. Thank God my husband is brave, because he accompanied Sean into the operating room, and waited with him until he fell asleep. I know I would have fainted, and vomited, simultaneously.
It breaks my heart to see my children, and pets, suffering. They're helpless, and sadly, in many situations, I'm helpless too. There's only so much one can do to provide comfort to someone who is in pain. It's hard with Grace, and the cat, because they can't communicate what exactly is bothering them. Sean is difficult because he can communicate perfectly well, but there's little that can be done for the pain. I'm grateful that Sean is a great patient, he handles medical stuff like a champion. As for Grace, Billy, and myself... Well, we're cowards!
I pray that Sean's surgery will provide relief for the chronic illnesses. I hope we're not back in this situation with Grace in a few years from now, but I imagine we will be. As for Billy, I hope we get some answers soon because we've grown to love him and would be heartbroken if he has a terminal illness.
Ah, the joys of motherhood.

Vocabulary

apnea (n) a temporary inability to breathe.
chronic (adj) continuing for a long time, constantly recurring; habitual
relapse (n) a return of a disease or illness after an apparent recovery from it
exhaustion (n) extreme tiredness; fatigue
ailments (n) a physical or mental disorder, especially a mild illness
simultaneously (adv) existing, occurring or operating at the same time
coward (n) a person who avoids danger, pain or difficulty 
terminal (adj) occurring at or causing the end of life; leads to death


Vocabulary Practice: 

                       Fill in the blanks with the best vocabulary word from the list above.
  1.  When someone has sleep ___________, they stop breathing while asleep.
  2. In the movie, The Wizard of Oz, the lion was considered a ____________ because he lacked bravery.
  3. Sadly, cancer tends to be a ________________ illness, and many patients _________________ multiple times.
  4. Can you pat the top of your head with one hand and rub your belly with the other hand _______________?
  5. Asthma can be a ________________ problem for people, especially during the cold winter months. 
  6. My husband says I complain of a new _______________ everyday.
  7. Maybe all my issues are a result of ____________________, they say you have to sleep to stay healthy.

Grammar Point: Interjections
Interjections are words or phrases used to exclaim or protest or command. They sometimes stand by themselves, but they are often contained within larger structures and set apart by a comma.


Examples of interjections:

Oops! I dropped the glass and it broke into a million pieces!
Yay! Our team won the game!
Well, don't you look nice today.

-> Can you write three more sentences that include interjections, one about a good surprise, one about a bad surprise and one about anything you like.


**Great examples of interjections and how we use them.**
 
Interactive quiz on interjections 

Hooray! Interjections!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you! My children were always sick. My oldest daughter started at the age of one with melanoma. She had 3 surgeries by the time she was 5. Then we were introduced to strep in 1st grade. That never ended and brought us to Mono in 5th grade. From then we encountered numerous sprains and breaks. High School saved the best for last. That was severe head trauma, 2 sinus surgeries including tonsils and adenoids and finally facial reconstruction (rhinoplasty from an earlier accident at the age of 8 when her friend fell on her face and smashed it). Now my son, he played football and baseball. Injury once a year and at 5 the soccer goal fell on his head leaving him like the Elephant Man. With that he had numerous ear infections and lost his hearing. Yes, its never ending. This is why I color my hair every two weeks. Also, I thought once they go to college it gets better. NO! It gets worse because now the medical attention requires travel time. Go Figure. Now my 3rd child who is 9 has had her typical colds and broke her leg at 2. Why? Because the older child forgot to pick up the heavy history book off the floor. But so far that's all for her. Thank God because I am tired. Best of luck to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the joys of motherhood! Just be glad you haven't had more kids. When I think that there was a time I wanted a 4th I could shoot myself. I too, have had my share of sicknesses, etc. through the years- chronic ear infections,speech delay requiring therapy ,sprains and hairline cracks, tons of viruses and flus, meningitis (yeah, could you believe it), braces, glasses, lot of teeth pulled and a root canal (I hate the dentist more than the kids), sick pets (talked about that in one of my blogs), vomiting and diarhea (ugh,that's the worst by far), and a partidge in a pear tree. The list is truly endless, but ya gotta love it!!!!! Believe it or not, it does getter better but than you are blessed with the emotional issues dealing with teenagers. Just remember, there isn't anyone that is better equipped to handle all of this but us mothers!!!!

    ReplyDelete