My Voki


Get a Voki now!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cooking With Faith



 I'm not an avid viewer of The Food Network and I don't subscribe to Gourmet Magazine. I think Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals is sophisticated enough for me. I have a few staple meals that I make over and over. These dinners have been tested by the family and approved for long term use. My son's favorite dish is homemade twin turkey tacos, appropriately named because everyone wants two! Tacos are very quick and simple to make. I use a taco seasoning packet and add a little extra cumin and chili powder to make it feel as though I'm creating an authentic mouthwatering Mexican meal. My husband's favorite dinner has always been my succulent shrimp scampi. I found this recipe on Red Lobster's website and tweaked it a bit to make it my own. However, last week I attempted to make something I've never made before, BBQ pulled pork. The hardest part of making pulled pork was removing the skin from the meat. I admit I had to call in my mother-in-law for backup. I  have issues with touching dead animal flesh, it really creeps me out. Once the dirty work was done I was back on course toward making a delightfully, delicious new dinner. I had no expectations for this meal because I'm known to destroy a meal on my first attempt, or any subsequent attempt if we're being honest. This time, however, was different. The pulled pork was perfect, as good as any that we've had from a BBQ joint! It was so great my husband named it his new favorite dinner dish. Here's the problem, the kids didn't like it. The benefit of the kids not eating it was it lasted an extra day or two and turned into yummy sandwiches for lunch. I typically don't make a dish that the kids have voted down but Dan and I vetoed the kids on this one. BBQ pulled pork is officially on the Tripp dinner menu. If you want to try it out, and I strongly suggest you do, click on the link I provided below and join us in pulled pork paradise!

Deliciously Easy Pulled Pork Recipe


Vocabulary:
avid- (adj) dedicated, enthusiastic, eager
sophisticated- (adj) having refined or cultured tastes and habits; complex and refined
staple- (noun) a basic or principal item, thing, feature, element, or part
authentic- (adj) not false or copied; genuine; real 
succulent- (adj) full of juice, juicy; rich  in desirable qualities 
tweaked- (verb) to make a minor adjustment to

expectation- (noun) the act or state of a looking forward to, anticipating
subsequent- (adj) following in order; occurring or coming later or after
vetoed- (verb) to reject
paradise- (noun) a state or place of extreme happiness, delight or bliss

Word Scramble: 
Can you unscramble the letters below to find each vocabulary word?

kdewate ____________
darsiepa ___________
diva ____________
hopissittaced ____________
plates _____________
cluesucnt ____________
deovet _____________
esentqbusu ___________
nextptaceio ___________
utentachi ___________

Grammar Point: Alliteration
Alliteration is the repetition of  beginning consonant sounds. We use alliteration to draw attention to certain words or phrases and to make our writing more fun to read. Can you find the examples of alliteration in the post above? Here's a clue: 'pulled pork paradise.' Can you create three original examples of alliteration to describe your favorite meal, sport or hobby? 

For more original examples of alliteration visit the BBC's website link below:

Totally Terrific Alliteration Examples 

6 comments:

  1. Faith,
    Loved this blog... food and cooking are right up my alley! Having 3 kids, who have been terrific eaters since they were born, has not cut me any break as far as being a slacker in the kitchen. My kitchen cookbok is brimming over with recipes. It just so happens that many of my recipes come from the food network. I happen to be a fan of Rachael Ray's (although I got sick of her since her face was everywhere on the t.v.) and Giada DeLaurentis. I am also a crockpot maven as many of my tried and true recipes are done with one pot cooking. Less clean-up in the kitchen!!! Your recipe for the pulled pork might just be on the menu for dinner next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LJ,

    What would I do without my crockpot? It's the greatest kitchen invention, second to the microwave.
    Good luck with the recipe! I think it will be a hit. I liked it so much I felt compelled to write about it and share it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!
    Do you serve it with homemade coleslaw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith I love reading your blogs! This one hit close to home as I always seem to have the same problems you encountered. Hope it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, no coleslaw here. I'm the only one in the house who enjoys coleslaw, and I mean REALLY enjoys it. Does anyone have a recipe for homemade coleslaw?

    ReplyDelete