My Voki


Get a Voki now!

Monday, September 13, 2010

I'm a Queens kid tried and true.

Growing up in Northeast Queens provided me with the opportunity to adopt many cultures from the comfort of my own neighborhood. I didn't have to leave my little street in Bayside to be immersed in Chinese, specifically Hong Kong, traditions. There was nothing better than getting my special red envelope on Chinese New Year with a few dollars and good luck trinkets to get me through the year. I went next door and opened the door to Poland and Italy. The smell of tomato sauce filled the air inside and out for hours and days and years. Across the street the Ukraine was in full swing. My affection for nesting dolls was born in my neighbor's house and has continued to grow until today. A few blocks away I was in Greece enjoying fresh feta cheese and admiring the beautiful marble while learning some conversational phrases and body language. I also learned all about the conflict between Greeks, Cypriots and Turks while sitting in my friend's kitchen. I developed a deeper respect for the elderly as I watch 'Oma' prepare kimchi around the corner. I loved the expression on Oma's face when I greeted her in Korean. Celebrating Hanukkah and Passover and going to temple to witness my friends Bar Mitvahs' was beautiful. I once requested a mezuzah for Christmas and got it! The irony! As I celebrated Jewish traditions I began to understand and embrace my Catholic faith in a new light.
Growing up in Northeast Queens was an amazing cultural experience. I learned what it meant to be American as I traveled the world of Bayside.

Vocabulary:

opportunity- (noun) a favorable combination of circumstances
immersed- (verb) to involve deeply; absorb
trinket- (noun) a small ornament, piece of jewelry, etc., usually of little value
affection- (noun) fond attachment, devotion, or love
admiring- (verb) to regard with wonder, pleasure, or approval
conflict- (noun) a fight, battle, or struggle, esp. a prolonged struggle; strife
respect- (verb) to hold in esteem or honor
expression- (noun) a look or intonation expressing personal reaction, feeling
witness- (verb) to be present at (an occurrence) as a formal spectator or bystander
irony- (noun) an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected
embrace- (verb) to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly
faith- (noun) belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary words:

She was _________________ the fall foliage when a leaf fell at her feet.
The _________________ in the Middle East has been going on for too long.
The child worked hard to earn a small _______________ as a reward.
It's easiest to learn a new language when one is completely ________________ in it.
Every child deserves the _________________ to learn in a safe and caring environment.
There's nothing like seeing the ________________ on my daughter's face on Christmas morning.
Our world must learn to _________________ the environment in order to preserve it for future generations.
It's awful to _________________ an accident.
People display tremendous _________________ for their pets.
The ____________ is I ordered the book online and they sent the video instead.
The beauty of America lies in the freedom to practice any ____________ freely and without fear of persecution.

Grammar Point: Idioms
Idioms are a style or manner of expression that are particular to a group of native speakers of a language. Can you identify and explain the idioms presented in the blog? What are some common idioms used in your native language? If you want to learn more examples of common idioms used in the United States visit this link: Helpful Idiom website

3 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post, Faith. Well done! I like the way you capture multiculturalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith,
    Once again, you have composed another great blog!!!! I especially enjoyed reading this post as I am envious of your wonderful and enriching life experiences. As a Jewish girl,who grew up in an all jewish neighborhood on the South Shore of Long Island, I envy those who have been fortunate enough to live amongst others from different walks of life. What a beautiful tribute you have paid to the many people you obviously grew to love! I just have one question....whatever compelled you to join your jewish friends at a seder table? Two hours telling the story of the jewish people's exodus from Egypt is enough to bore even the most observant of us!!!
    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. LJ,

    Are you kidding? I LOVE the seder! One of my best friends is Jewish, married to a Catholic who happens to be my daughter's Godfather, and I've enjoyed many seder meals with her family! I love the history and the story telling! The traditions of the Jewish faith are what led to the practices of Catholics so it has double meaning to me. I always loved Jewish traditions, however, long before I could connect them to Catholicism. And as for growing up in Queens, that was the greatest gift my parents gave me!

    ReplyDelete